When packing for a trip, baby toys are the absolute last thing that go in my bag.
That’s not to say they’re not important (they really are essential), but it can be so easy to get carried away with a bunch unnecessary stuff!
Finding the right baby toys is tricky: you want things that are small, but not too small. You want a mix of soft cuddly toys and more solid, interactive toys. Toys that make noise and toys that don’t. Toys that are familiar from home and toys that are new and exciting.
And most of all, when selecting baby toys for travel, you want something that can be used in many different settings (in the airport, on the plane, in the car, in the hotel, out in the city, etc.)
When it comes to packing travel-friendly baby toys, variety is key. You’ll want to have plenty of options at your disposal to keep baby occupied, either while up in the air and out on the town!
After months and months of traveling with a baby from age 1 to 13 months, we’ve found ourselves going back to the same old trusty baby toys just about every time. Some are packed in the carry on and some in the suitcase. And while we might not bring these same 10 items with us every time, there’s usually a combination of least 6 or 7 of these travel-friendly baby toys with us every time we travel:
Note: This post contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. If you purchase anything through these links, we may receive a small commission (at no additional cost to you)! Thanks for supporting the blog in this way.
1. Baby Einstein Musical Toy – I don’t know why, but this thing can always calm Evelyn down on the plane. It’ll keep her occupied for a good 5-10 minutes at a time (which feels like hours in “flying with baby” time). Don’t even worry about it being too loud; the plane noise will drown it out once you’re up in the air.
2. Teether Blankie – All the comfort of a stuffed animal in so much less space!
3. Leap Frog Learning Remote – For old babies (10+ months), once they figure this thing out, they’ll stay occupied pushing button after button.
4. Laugh & Learn Book – Another good one for older babies. This talking book is nice and small, so it doesn’t take up too much space.
5. Teething Keys – Always a fan favorite. Plus they can be easily attached to a tether so they’re never lost.
6. Sophie the Giraffe – Another baby favorite…we never went anywhere without Sophie when Evelyn was really little.
7. Nesting Cups – These aren’t so great on the plane, but are perfect for playing on the beach or in the bath.
8. Oball Rattle – Evelyn loves a good ball to throw around, but this one is great because you can attach it to a tether.
9. Vibrating Stroller Toy – Another nice and tiny extra distraction, when you need one more piece of ammo in your arsenal.
10. Mini Board Books – These are the teeniest tiniest books out there. They measure in at just 4 x 4 inches, and 1/4 inch thick! They’re so small, they’ll easily fit just about anywhere.
And while it’s technically not a “toy”, we never go anywhere without our dropper stopper tether. I’m always on the lookout for toys that can be easily attached to it. This thing is a lifesaver!
One last note: never discount the power of an iPhone or in-flight magazine for some instant entertainment on the plane, even for baby. We keep an iPad loaded with a few episodes of Evelyn’s favorite shows and simple children’s games, and break it out only after all else has failed us!
Read Next: Flying with Baby: Essential Travel Gear
Liked this Post? Pin It!